Legacy web pages of Axel Beckert
Since I'm no more active at the Fachschaftsrat Informatik of
the University of Saarland anymore, I have transferred all my
university time legacy web pages from
http://fsinfo.cs.uni-sb.de/~abe/ to this interim host
at http://fsinfo.noone.org/~abe/ with only minimal
modifications, mainly e-mail addresses.
Most pages on this interim host won't be updated anymore until they
are moved (and redirected) step by step to their
future home somewhere under http://noone.org/.
Please also note that my former e-mail address
no more valid. Use email@example.com
Beckert, Zürich, 23rd of September 2007
Emacs HTML 3.2 Mode - Features
- Short-cuts for nearly every HTML 3.2 tag.
- Typing characters with accent as usual inserts HTML
entities for those letters, e.g. "´e"
inserts a "é", a "^a" inserts a
- Entities for umlauts or diëresis can be inserted by
typing the prefix "&" ("&" is the HTML
special character for entities) and then the wanted
character, e.g. "&o" inserts a
- Entities for characters with other additional signs, as
ring or tilde can be inserted by typing the prefix
"C-c o" or "C-c ~" and the
wanted character, e.g. "C-c o a" inserts a
"å" and a "C-c ~ n" inserts a
- Entities for other special characters are divided on the
prefixes "&", "´",
"`" and "^",
e.g. "&c" inserts a "©" and a
"´0" inserts a "ø". (All HTML
3.2 entities have a short-cut in this mode.)
- Short-cuts for structures, such as lists and tables.
- See also table of short-cuts and
Note: This mode does not provide syntax checking, but
it can help correcting frequently made typos, like forgetting
some quotation marks around a parameter´s value or forgetting to
close the body or html tag. These functions can also be called
automatically when opening an HTML file
- Function for adding quotation marks around the values of
URL parameter - say HREF, USEMAP and SRC - if they
aren´t quoted now.
- Function for adding quotation marks around the alternative
text of an inline image if it isn´t quote now.
- Function for adding quotation marks around every value
of a tag parameter if it isn´t quoted now.
- Short-cuts for completing or - if not existent - adding
basic structures, such as doctype string, document
title, header and body.
Other features and help
- Menu with the most important HTML tags and mode
functions and their short-cuts, if existent.
- When you type "C-h" after typing one the
special character prefixes, you´ll get a list of
all entities, which can be inserted by that prefix and
their HTML code.
- IMHO fully documented source code, all interactive
functions should have a document string, short-cuts,
function names and use are explained at the beginning
of the file
HTML 3.2 Mode Index
Author: Axel Beckert,
Last update: 1-Jan-98